Frequently asked questions Planning a U cruise? Here are the basics.
- How many people are on each cruise?
Each ship has a max capacity of 120 passengers (pax).
- What accommodation options are there?
There are four bedroom categories:
- Studio – river view, up to two pax
- Studio Triple – river view, up to three pax
- Balcony – French balcony, river view, up to two pax
- Suite – French balcony, river view, living area, up to two pax
- Is the trip all inclusive?
No, in the traditional sense, U by Uniworld cruises are not all-inclusive. However, there are many great things included like:
- Two meals onboard per day and select non-alcoholic drinks such as complimentary water, coffee and tea all day long, as well as complimentary juice during breakfast. Included meals are usually brunch and dinner, as most guests will be out and about during the day.
- Select shore excursions – We offer one included shore excursion per day, specially tailored for U guests.
- Gratuities – All gratuities for onboard and shore excursions are included.
- Onboard entertainment and select activities – Including activities like our Local DJ Night and Welcome Party.
- Are Port Charges included in published fares?
In the United States, South Africa and South America – the published pricing does not include port charges.
In Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom – the published pricing is inclusive of port charges.
- Are Gratuities included in published fares?
Yes, gratuities for onboard and shore excursions are included in the published fares.
- Are Transfers to/from the ships included in published fares?
No, transfers are not included in the fares; however, we will offer both group and private transfers for an additional fee.
- Will there be bikes on board?
Yes, each ship has 50 U Bikes onboard for complimentary use for our guests.
- Will there be a gym on board?
Yes, each ship will have a sizable fitness center onboard – inclusive of aerobic machines, weights and yoga mats. Complimentary Yoga and TRX classes will also be offered to our guests.
- Are the movies in the bedrooms included or will guests need to pay extra?
Yes, there will be movies available for rent in the bedrooms; however, the rental price has not been set at this time.
- Is Wi-Fi included?
Yes, complimentary Wi-Fi is included throughout the ship. We also offer personal hotspots for rent during the cruise which can be used onboard and on shore. The rental price is 8 euros per day.
- How much money should a guest plan to spend each day above and beyond the cruise fare?
That all depends. U by Uniworld is structured to provide guests with choices that allow them to customize their experience to their needs
- Food – Two onboard meals are included each day; however, guests may choose to have any meal on shore at their own expense.
- Drinks – Guests can also enjoy complimentary water, coffee and tea all day long, as well as complimentary juice during breakfast. All other drinks, including alcoholic beverages, will be at an additional charge.
- Excursions – Our U Time excursions range in price depending on the activity, and participation is completely optional.
- Onboard Activities – In addition to several complimentary onboard activities, each cruise will have several special optional onboard activities requiring an additional fee (i.e. paint & wine, private cooking class). The optional onboard activities range in price and are built to be affordable and completely optional.
- How can Shipboard Credit (SBC) be applied?
SBCs can be applied to all services chargeable onboard U by Uniworld ships, including:
- All bar and restaurant charges
- Spa services
- Phone and stamps
- Personal Wi-Fi Hotspot rental
- U Time optional excursions
- Onboard optionals
- Laundry services
*Please note, unused amounts are not refundable to the guest.
FOOD & DRINKS
- What are the dining options onboard?
There are two dining options onboard:
- Dine: The main restaurant on the Downstairs deck – serves brunch and dinner. Meals in the restaurant are included in the cruise fare, change daily and feature a range of locally-inspired and farm-to-table dishes, including vegetarian and vegan options.
- U Lounge: The always-open lounge on the Upstairs deck – serves tapas-style sharing plates and after-hours snacks.
- Are there set dining times in the restaurant?
- On most days the restaurant will be open for brunch and dinner, with a range of open hours for each dining period (i.e. 9am-12pm). Guests are welcome to eat any time within the open hours, which will be published onboard. The restaurant is open seating, with a combination of communal tables, high tables and small tables – allowing guests to change their dining companions each day as they meet new friends, or join the same group time after time.
- What time does the bar close?
The bar is open during the day and late into the evening.
- What is the legal drinking age onboard?
- The legal drinking age onboard is 21 years old.
- Can guests bring alcohol onboard and consume it?
- While we allow guests to bring alcohol they’ve purchased in port and through shore excursions onboard, these beverages should not be consumed onboard and we reserve the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption onboard the vessel.
BOOKING, FEES & PAYMENT
- How much money does a guest need to put down to hold their cruise?
- All bookings require a 10% deposit at time of booking to hold the reservation.
- When is the final payment due?
- All cruises must be paid in full 120 days before the sail date. If the cruise is booked after the 120-day mark, then it must be paid in full at time of booking.
- If two or more people are splitting the cost of their room, will they be able to pay separately?
- Yes, each person will be charged a “per person” rate and can pay accordingly, or opt to pay as a couple or a group.
- What is the cancellation policy?
The cancellation policy is as follows:
- 120 days or more: No Penalty
- 119-90 days: 20% of the fare**
- 89-60 days: 35% of the fare**
- 59-30 days: 50% of the fare**
- Less than 30 days: 100% of the fare**
- No Show: 100% of the fare**
- Are there butlers onboard for the suites?
- No, U by Uniworld does not have butlers. You will have to unpack your own bags – but only once!
- What if a guest misses the ship on embarkation day and/or during a port stop?
- It happens! Unfortunately, we cannot hold up the ship so the guest will have to find and pay for their own transportation to the ship’s next port. The port schedule and contact details of the ship will be provided to the guests in their cruise documents, which they can reference to contact the ship and determine the ship’s location.
- How does a solo traveler book a twin share?
- At time of booking, the solo traveler needs to indicate whether or not they want to book a twin room as a single and pay the single supplement (twin single) OR if they want to be paired by us with another solo traveler and pay the lower double occupancy rate (twin share). If the latter, then we will book them as a “twin share” and they will be introduced to their roommate on embarkation day.
- Does a solo traveler receive a discount when booking a twin share?
- While a solo traveler pays the same daily, double occupancy, per person rate when they share a twin room with another solo traveler, they do not have to pay the single supplement that they would pay if they didn’t share a room with someone else.
- How does the triple occupancy work?
- Each ship has two rooms designated for triple occupancy, called Studio Triples. These rooms can be booked by a group of three people traveling together and have three twin-sized beds inside (one bunk and one single). While there is not a fixed discount, a triple cabin is priced based on 2 of the guests paying the normal double occupancy price, and the 3rd guest priced at 50% of the normal double occupancy price.
- Is there a discount for super cruises?
- While there is no fixed discount, the super cruises have been specially priced to provide better value for guests buying longer cruises.
- What are the passport requirements
- All guests must present a copy of their valid passport (or government issued ID) at time of full payment (120 days prior to cruise). Validation of identity and age will be determined at that point. Any guest not within the U age requirements will not be issued cruise documents.
- Are flights available through U by Uniworld?
- Yes, our air department will gladly find and book flights for our U by Uniworld guests; however, we cannot guarantee that our air rates will be lowest available. We’ll try our best!
- Are Pre/Post hotel arrangements available through U by Uniworld?
- No, at this time we are not able to offer pre/post-hotel arrangements to our guests.
- Where does a guest find the embarkation and disembarkation times for each itinerary so that they can make their travel arrangements?
Embarkation and disembarkation timelines can be found in three different locations:
- On the website, in the Day-to-Day descriptions for each of the itineraries
- On the website, under the “Already Booked” section (don’t worry – it’s coming!)
- In the final cruise documents issued to the guests after they’ve made their final payment
- How do guests get from the airport (or pre-cruise hotel) to the ship on embarkation day?
Guests have two options for getting to the ship on embarkation day (and conversely, getting to the airport after their cruise is over):
- Option 1 – Schedule a transfer through U by Uniworld, we offer both private and group transfers to/from the airport for embarkation/disembarkation. Quotes for transfers are provided by the U by Uniworld reservations team and vary by transfer type and itinerary.
- Option 2 – Make their own way to the ship, via taxi, friend, bus, or any other way they see fit. We will do our best to provide the most up-to-date port information, name, address and location to our guests prior to their arrival to the ship:
- Included in their pre-cruise email communication
- Available on the website, under the “Already Booked” section
- Noted in the final cruise documents
- Can groups be booked on U?
- Of course! We’d be more than happy to welcome them onboard.
- Are U ships available for charter?
- Between U by Uniworld and our sister company Uniworld, we have several amazing ships in our fleet that can be made available for charter. Our groups and charters team will work closely with these requests to ensure that the right ship is paired with the needs of each charter.
GENERAL ONBOARD QUESTIONS
- Are there laundry services onboard?
- Yes, we offer laundry services onboard.
- Are there hair dryers in the room?
- Yes, there are hair dryers in every room.
- What type of outlets are used onboard the ship?
- There are European and North American outlets in each cabin, but please bring an adapter along to make sure you can charge your gadgets in other public spaces onboard.
- Is there a gym onboard?
- Yes, each ship will have a sizable fitness center onboard – inclusive of aerobic machines, weights and yoga mats. Complimentary Yoga and TRX classes will also be offered to our guests.
- What’s the dress code?
- Come as you are, as long as you have clothes on. No shirt, no shoes, no service.
- Can guests bring visitors onboard the ship
- No, only registered guests will be able to board the ship. Guests will be required to scan their room card when they board and no one without a room card will be allowed to board.
- Do guests have to sign a Code of Conduct form?
- No, but we expect all of our U guests to be on their best behavior.
- Is the onboard commentary and communication in English?
- Yes, English is the official language onboard U – but all languages are welcome.
- Will merchandise be sold onboard?
- Yes, guests will be able to buy souvenirs, clothes and travel essentials onboard.